Our Lady Of Lourdes Church
About 15,500 people gave a minimum of £1 each to the construction of this wonderful Church, dedicated to Mary, the Mother of Jesus and our Mother also. That in itself must have given to the people of this area, of this town, of this parish, a great sense of ownership – a great feeling of pride and satisfaction. Yes, it was the House of God – the House of Prayer – but it was also the House of the Faith of the People of Drogheda.
St. Augustine's Church
The Augustinians arrived in Dublin some time before 1280, they also settled at four other Irish centres by 1300 within the territory in Ireland that was controlled by the English kings: Dungarvan in 1290, Drogheda in about 1295, and Cork and Tipperary in 1300. Unfinished, the Augustinian church should have received a spire, a stumpy tower to the right of the main façade was all that was completed. The exterior is finished in a roughly cut limestone ashlar.
St. Mary's Church
St.Mary's Church is a Victorian interpretation of the French Gothic style built in the 1880's and consecrated in April, 1889. The present Church is built on the location of a former jail on a site donated by Michael Duff, a local merchant and it replaced a much smaller church in John Street.
The Dominican foundation was underwritten by Luke Netterville, Anglo-Norman archbishop of Armagh. This church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene who is the patroness of the order of Preacers, the Dominicans.The church is built in a rather aggressive French gothic style of rusticated limestone. This church, which took eight years to to build, has a total lenght of 111 feet, which is twice as long as the old church, which was at Linen Hall.
St. Peter's Church Of Ireland
St. Peter’s Church of Ireland is built on a site which has been a centre of worship at least since the founding of the town of Drogheda itself. Although there may have been a Celtic Church here in earlier times, the dedication to St. Peter suggests that it was an Anglo-Norman foundation as Celtic Churches were not usually dedicated to Biblical Saints. The first church on the site was probably built about the same time as Mellifont Abbey, as the remains of some of the original tiles and mouldings found on the site are similar to those found at Mellifont.
Holy Family Church
In 1979, on the recommendation of the priests of St Mary’s parish, initial plans were made for the setting up of a separate parish. On 14 February 1986, the Diocesan College of Consultors approved the suggestion and a Boundaries Commission was set up. On the 27 August 1986, the Most Rev. Michael Smith issued the following decree: ‘A second new parish is to be erected on the western side of St Mary’s and will be called Holy Family parish. It will include the following areas: Ballsgrove, Rathmullen, St Finian’s Park, Donore Avenue, Donore Road, Cherrymount, Cherrybrook Drive, Hillbrook, Marian Court, Hill View, Highfield, Laurel Court, Grove Road, all houses opening on to Marley’s Lane, St Oliver’s Community College, Marian Park nos 1-66, 131-140 and 183-232. The remaining houses in Marian Park will remain in St Mary’s. Today the M1 motorway forms the boundary between St. Mary's Donore, and the Holy Family Parish.
St. Peter's Catholic Church
St. Peter's Church is situated on the main street of the busy town of Drogheda. The church was one of the last of the gothic churches to have been built and as such incorporates many of the finer aspects of gothic architecture. Built by parish priest, Mgr. Robert Murphy in the late nineteenth century; it is regarded today as a masterpiece of beauty and design. Its interior was decorated by his successor, Mgr. Patrick Segrave in the early twentieth century and his work is also regarded as exquisite in both taste and in finish. A similar building of design and adornment could not be built by the people of Drogheda today because of the astronomical costs such a project would entail.