Our Lady of Lourdes Church photo

Our Lady of Lourdes Church

About 15,500 people gave a minimum of £1 each to the construction of this wonderful Church, dedicated to Mary, the Mother of Jesus and our Mother also.  That in itself must have given to the people of this area, of this town, of this parish, a great sense of ownership – a great feeling of pride and satisfaction.  Yes, it was the House of God – the House of Prayer – but it was also the House of the Faith of the People of Drogheda.

St. Peter's Church of Ireland photo

St. Peter's Church of Ireland

St. Peter’s Church of Ireland is built on a site which has been a centre of worship at least since the founding of the town of Drogheda itself. Although there may have been a Celtic Church here in earlier times, the dedication to St. Peter suggests that it was an Anglo-Norman foundation as Celtic Churches were not usually dedicated to Biblical Saints. The first church on the site was probably built about the same time as Mellifont Abbey, as the remains of some of the original tiles and mouldings found on the site are similar to those found at Mellifont.


St. Peter's Church of Ireland Website
 
St. Augustine's Church photo

St. Augustine's Church

The Augustinians arrived in Dublin some time before 1280, they also settled at four other Irish centres by 1300 within the territory in Ireland that was controlled by the English kings: Dungarvan in 1290, Drogheda in about 1295, and Cork and Tipperary in 1300. Unfinished, the Augustinian church should have received a spire, a stumpy tower to the right of the main façade was all that was completed. The exterior is finished in a roughly cut limestone ashlar. The architect Michael Moran gave the church some unusual features which could be considered Irish: the east and west windows consist of seven

St. Augustine's Church Website
St. Mary's Church photo

St. Mary's Church

Designed by a local architect, P.J. Dodd, St Mary’s is another large Catholic church in a gothic style. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire. At ground level the façade has three large gabled entrances with mouldings and carvings. The interior is richly decorated and very dark. This is due to the fact that the aisle windows (and there are only windows on one aisle) are filled with very dark stained glass so the only natural light is via the clerestory window


St. Mary's Church Website
 
Holy Family Church photo

Holy Family Church

During the 1960’s and 70’s, a number of new housing estates were established in the western part of St. Mary’s parish. Marian Park was completed in 1958 and Ballsgrove completed by 1966. The church and schools of St Mary’s parish could not cater for the increase in residents in the area. Land was acquired for the development of new parish buildings and in 1969 Marymount Girls’ School was opened.


Holy Family Church Website
St. Magdalen’s Dominican Church photo

St. Magdalen’s (Dominican) Church

Designed in a French Gothic style and built in 1878, the Dominican church is finished in rusticated limestone. The side entrance to Dominick Street has a small tower over the entrance. The interior is simple and relatively un-ornate for a Roman Catholic church of this period.



St. Magdalen’s (Dominican) Church Website
 
St. Peter's Catholic Church photo

St. Peter's Catholic Church

St. Peter's Church is situated on the main street of the busy town of Drogheda. The church was one of the last of the gothic churches to have been built and as such incorporates many of the finer aspects of gothic architecture. Built by parish priest, Mgr. Robert Murphy in the late nineteenth century; it is regarded today as a masterpiece of beauty and design. Its interior was decorated by his successor, Mgr. Patrick Segrave in the early twentieth century and his work is also regarded as exquisite in both taste and in finish. A similar building of design and adornment could not be built by the people of Drogheda today because of the astronomical costs such a project would entail.


St. Peters' Catholic Church Website